Incorporating literacy into music is an important part of my classroom. Celebrate Music in Our Schools Month and Women's History Month with these 5 books!
1. For the Love of Music: The Remarkable Story of Maria Anna Mozart by Elizabeth Rusch
Many people know about Wolfgang Mozart but his sister is lesser known. This story tells of a brilliant pianist who toured along side her brother. The book is based on actual letters written within the Mozart family.
2. Skit-Scat Raggedy Cat Ella Fitzgerald by Roxanne Orgill
This wonderful story tells about Ella Fitzgerald's life from her childhood to her professional singing days. A great biography written for children so they can understand.
3. Clara Schumann: Piano Virtuoso by Susanna Reich
This book is more suitable for older children. It is a chapter book with 118 pages on Clara Schumann's musical life. The book includes diary entries and letters by Clara.
4. Little Piano Girl: The Story of Mary Lou Williams by Ann Ingalls and Maryann Macdonald
Just like Mozart, Mary Lou Williams began playing the piano very young and became a professional musician before she was a teenager. As a jazz pianist, she had the opportunity to arrange music for famous players such as Duke Ellington and Dizzy Gillespie.
5. Harlem's Little Blackbird by Renee Watson
This story features Florence Mills, a lesser known singer from the 20s. Her singing and dancing dazzled audiences on broadway.