- Have you ever played any instruments?
- Were you involved in band, choir, orchestra, or any other ensembles?
- Have you participated in a church choir or church band?
- Can you read any rhythms or music notes?
3. Find your student's dream music.
A lot of times, your adult student has a dream song or piece of music that they'd always wished they could play. Because they don't have a school ensemble or contest to keep them interested and motivated, I use this dream music as a way to keep them engaged. I have them pick out a few pieces or songs and see if we can include a small chunk into each week's lesson. Right now, one of my student's is working on a Cristofori's Dream, a piece he's always dreamed of playing(ha..ha...ha?).
So tell me, do you have adult students in your studio? What do you love about teaching adult students and what are your challenges?